Hi everyone, and thanks for visiting this blog. I appreciate you taking time out of your day.
Winning Uphill is how I characterize finding success and satisfaction despite all the internal factors that are trying to keep that from happening.
I originally started out with an idea to write two blogs: one about career success, of which there are approximately 17 million, and one about coping with the effects of childhood emotional neglect (CEN), of which there are also a ton that touch on the subject, either directly or indirectly.
Upon beginning to write, I quickly saw that this was going to be a blog about the intersection of the two: how people suffering from CEN can work through their very specific challenges to have fulfilling careers. As a sufferer of CEN, writing Winning Uphill has so far proven to be extremely rewarding.
How does CEN show up in the workplace?
- Impostor Syndrome
- Difficulty showing initiative
- Trouble advocating for yourself (promotions, raises, speaking in meetings)
- Minimizing your contributions to the success of the organization
- Extreme anxiety about your work
- Chronic procrastination
- Feeling left out of work activities
- Internalizing work failures, and externalizing work successes
- Ineffective leadership or avoidance of leadership roles altogether
- Dichotomous, or Black and White thinking
- Lack of vulnerability or authenticity
There are many others, but these are the ones that I find most challenging and prevalent in my work life.
Winning Uphill feels right to me. I’ll be sharing many of my personal, internal struggles in the workplace, and the strategies I’ve learned to address them. This will be semi-autobiographical, and my hope is that you get some value from it and that it supports you in overcoming your own internal personal struggles.
I welcome all comments. Please share your ideas and insights here in the comment section, or reach out to me at email@example.com.
My deepest thanks,
N.B. Incidentally, I just today had a great conversation with Matt East on The Goal Achievement Podcast. We talk a little bit about my path and some of the challenges I experience.